Leave to TaylorMade to re-define the word “blade” by stamping it on the back of a cavity-back iron. I guess RocketCavityBackZ doesn’t have the same ring to it. Or perhaps like many other once easily defined golf words, like “optimal trajectory” or “prototype”, they’ve just gone to the wind. Anyway, I digress… TaylorMade recently made some hooplah over their “One Little Thing” promo and press release today and now have released their next set of irons for the 2013 season – RocketBladez. The “one little thing” they added is not exactly new, it has been seen for some time now in Adams woods, and others, but it is the “speed pocket”, which in a nutshell is a cavity in the sole of the club designed to increase COR on impact. Their CEO Mark King is also claiming this new Speed Pocket is a “once in a lifetime innovation in the iron category”, I suppose time will tell, but I imagine we’ll be seeing this speed slot trend continuing in irons for years to come (well, before next year’s release anyway).
I’ve always been a fan…
Making clubs easier to hit is great, and these irons have done just that. Both the RocketBladez irons and tour irons help get the ball airborne with a combination of extremely low COG and their Speed Pocket, which is why Tour players are already playing these irons. Here’s all Taylormade has to say about these new sticks, videos and pictures galore. Enjoy!
Only RocketBladez are powered by the Speed Pocket, the little thing that promoted radically increased speed and distance. These irons are the true blend of the feel the pros demand and the explosive distance the amateurs crave. The Speed Pocket. If you don’t have it, then you don’t have it.
RocketBladez Tour Irons
- Maximum speed and flight enhancement technology in the 3- through 7-iron: The Speed Pocket promotes consistently high ball speed and distance.
- Consistent distance with every iron made possible by careful management of the Speed Pocket, improved inverted Cone shape and high MOI.
- 11grams of weight is strategically redistributed to lower and center the CG location, promoting a higher launch angle, higher peak trajectory and a steep, soft-landing, quick-stopping descent angle.
- Fantastic feel promoted by a specially formulated polyurethane developed by 3M that fills the Speed Pocket and quiets vibration.
- Milled face-texture and grooves promote consistently high spin.
- Shaft: KBS Tour – X, S, R
- Grip: Mens RBladez Tour Grip – Tour Velve 51.5g
- Shaft size .355 tip
- Available early February 2013.
- Price: TBD.
- Speed Pocket in the 3- through 7-irons works with an advanced, ultra-thin face design to promote consistently high ball speed and distance.
- Consistent distance with every iron made possible by careful management of the Speed Pocket, improved Inverted Cone shape and high MOI.
- 17.5 grams of weight is strategically redistributed to lower and center the CG location, promoting a higher launch angle, higher peak trajectory and a steep, soft-landing, quick-stopping descent angle.
- Fantastic feel promoted by a specially formulated polyurethane developed by 3M that fills the RBZ Speed Pocket and quiets vibration.
- SW and LW have re-designed cavities to promote feel, feature our renowned ATV sole for maximum greenside versatility, and come equipped with heavier steel shafts to promote better rhythm and control
- Shaft: RocketFuel™ 85 Steel – S,R
- Shaft: RocketFuel™ 65 Mens Graphite – S, R, M
- Grip:Mens RBladez Grip 47.5g
- Shaft size .370 tip
- Available December 1, 2012.
- Price: $799 for steel, $899 for graphite.