Good evening everyone. Our friend Scott Kramer is back with an update on some of the many new clubs on the horizon. Today he has a look at new equipment from Bobby Jones, Bridgestone, Cleveland, Bettinardi and more.
Two upcoming wedges of note are Bobby Jones's Black Nickel model bearing a face milled from Carpenter 440XH steel, which aims to be harder and tougher than carbon steel or 17-4 stainless steel; and Bridgestone's J38 Black Oxide model that conforms to the new C-C groove rules (we found this picture on the web of it). Its dark finish helps achieve more backspin, particularly after it starts rusting.
– Cleveland Golf's new Junior Series clubs for children are offered in three sizes and are designed specifically for boys and girls between ages 3 and 14. Offerings include a 325cc driver, steel hybrid, steel irons, classic-shaped wedge, alignment putter and lightweight stand bag.
– Renowned putter designer Bob Bettinardi, who had last been seen making putters for Mizuno, is now back on his own and will be releasing five new Country Club series putters in 2010.
– Sun Mountain's 2010 Monsoon jacket is made of comfortable, lined windproof and waterproof microfiber. Shoulder gussets, adjustable cuffs, zippered side pockets, an external chest pocket, shock-cord waist, and locking zipper pulls complete this jacket.
– Bionic's upcoming Performance Series cabretta golf glove was designed by an orthopedic hand surgeon. It features a triple row finger grip, elongated flexion zones, patented pre-rotated fingers, and anatomically positioned terrycloth moisture management.
– It's very comfortable and you'll truly be able to feel the technology, particularly in the fingers.
– Lee Westwood inked a multi-year contract to continue playing PING equipment.
– Popular Science magazine recently honored Callaway's uPro GPS device with a "2009 Best of What's New Award". As it happens, Callaway just released the uPro Go full-color GPS device.
– There are some wild new colors and designs in the 2010 OGIO bag line. Speaking of cool bags, Oakley's new Banger has a 7 x 11 top with 6-way divider system and putter pit. Solidly constructed, this bag features a wide-stance stand mechanism, IZZO Dual Strap deluxe swivel buckle carry system, and zippered slip pockets. Oakley's also offering a new Staff bag that features a 10 x 9 top with a six-way divider, soft brushed top for club protection, tumbled synthetic leather and added strap with brushed shoulder pad. Look for Rich Beem to be using Oakley products in 2010.
– If you've wondered about the golf GPS system featured in recent iPhone TV spots, it's the new Golfshot software from Shotzoom Software ($29.95 one-time fee, no other fees ever) that brings you 25,000 fully mapped courses around the world. I tried it once and it was awesome. Side-by-side with other golf-specific GPS devices, its yardage was every bit as accurate and just as quick to calculate the details.
Veteran golf equipment writer and former Golf Magazine senior editor Scott Kramer has published a new e-book, How To Buy The Right Golf Equipment. The easy-reading book helps the average golfer by simplifying the process of buying clubs, shafts, balls, bags and shoes — as well as buying equipment for other people, including your spouse and kids. For the complete book, visit lulu.com for the instant pdf download.